Skip to main content

Cautious Optimism

In this recent blog post I said that I felt like we have a chance to actually have a President that we can be proud of no matter who won, McCain or Obama. I still feel that way in principle, so now we'll see if I was right.

Despite the fact that I voted for McCain and I still think he was the better man, I join McCain in wishing President-elect Obama the very best. I pray especially that Obama and the country will be spared the kind of unprecedented trauma, through no fault of our own, that plagued President Bush from the outset.

Personally, I don't really care that much about Obama's race but I can understand the sense of pride that most African-Americans have in this accomplishment. It's worth a moment of celebration, but very soon Obama will need to move on and show that he deserved it, not just from a misguided sense of entitlement that likely got him elected in the first place, but because he can lead us in sensible directions that we'll actually be proud of.

If I could offer Obama one piece of advice, it would be to can his preachy rhetoric with all the liberal code words ["fairness" and "give back" and "inequality"] and just give it to us straight what he wants to do. Take a page out of Google's book and "don't be evil" give us transparency and truth. We didn't all go to Harvard, but we can all handle the simple truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Climate Change and Open Science - WSJ.com

This Wall Street Journal article Climate Change and Open Science - WSJ .com made the right basic point about liberal hypocrisy in the Climate Change debate, but disappointingly it failed to cite the best sources of real information from an unbiased scientific point of view. I believe that source is Dr. S. Fred Singer & Dr. Craig D. Idso , from the Science and Environmental Policy Project and Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change, who coauthored "Climate Change Reconsidered; The Report of the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change" published in 2009. In this book, the petition letter shown here from Dr. Frederick Seitz ( Ph . D. Physics) President Emeritus of Rockefeller University was published. Dr. Seitz circulated this letter: urging fellow academics with qualifications in the physical sciences to sign the petition at http://www.petitionproject.com/ and thereby acknowledge their agreement with this statement in the petition: Accor...

Health Care

I spent nearly three hours today trying to understand the meaning of the Obamacare legislation. I am a reasonably intelligent individual, I have experience analyzing legislation (in my work), I know generally where to look and despite all that, I found it to be basically incomprehensible. This suggests to me that most people; don't have a clue what has happened, how it will effect them, why it was necessary (0r not), when it will take effect, what it will cost, what the alternatives might have been (or might still be), or in general what they should think about it. I'm going to try again to decipher it and when I do, to write here what my opinion is. Right now I am suspicious of it simply because it's too complicated to understand.