Skip to main content

Marc Andreessen: An hour and a half with Barack Obama

I'm a huge fan of Marc Andreessen and I have no doubt that his thoughtful endorsement of Barack Obama [blog.pmarca.com: An hour and a half with Barack Obama] will have great influence. However, I suspect that many who follow Marc were already persuaded by more emotional "anything but Republican" feelings and had made up their minds anyway. I can relate to that, that's how I felt after eight years of Clinton.

What I like about Obama is that, with McCain, for a change after nearly sixteen years he gives us two decent candidates that we might actually be proud of. In my mind, both could be acceptable leaders. I sincerely hope that they have a thoughtful and civil debate which helps us all sort out the right way forward for America.

Marc's characterization of Obama made me think about why it is that I support McCain and I'm grateful to Marc for that. Of course I was not fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to meet McCain personally as Marc did with Obama. All I have to go on is the thirty years or so that I've observed Senator McCain's political and social behavior. What I've found is that I see a remarkably similar set of characteristics in John McCain as those Marc sees in Obama; smart, honest, straightforward, principled but pragmatic, willing to compromise and non-dogmatic . So in the end they are not that much different and, in my opinion, the choice hinges on experience vs charisma. Obama's charisma is uplifting and inspiring at times, and John can sometimes be a little dry. But as we saw with Clinton and even with Kennedy charisma can be short lived. The soaring rhetoric tends to evaporate into policy jibberish as the realities of a complex world must be faced and hard decisions made. I don't really know how or if Obama's rhetoric will turn into meaningful action. I do have thirty years of experience with John McCain's steadfast character and with my perception of his ability to take action and make the right decisions. That is the reason why I support John McCain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forty Years

My wife Joy and I celebrated our 40 th wedding anniversary this past weekend with our children and grand-children. We were on lovely Sea Island, Georgia watching this spectacular sunrise and wondering how it was possible that forty years could have gone by so quickly. We had a lot of fun telling all the old stories about how we met, and courted, and married, and brought up the kids. Lots of laughs and a few tears as well. We've been through good times and bad together. We've both worked hard, had a few disappointments, but basically have accomplished mostly good things. We've had good health, loving families, good friends, three fine sons we're very proud of, wonderful daughter's-in-law who are perfect for our boys, and four of the best grandchildren ever. Life doesn't really get any better than that. We've really been blessed and we thank God for that. Now we're working to keep our health and live to celebrate forty more.

Barry Schwartz - The Paradox of Choice

MediaPost Publications - Americans Get More Channels, Watch Fewer Of Them, Especially Broadcast - 03/13/2006 Ironically, Barry Schwartz spoke at PC Forum last night about the Paradox of Choice, and what did I wake up to this morning. Another possible example of too much choice in the channels people have to choose from on television. I wonder whether the "a la carte" crowd has thought about this problem. I'll have to ask Prof. Schwartz about that today.