Skip to main content

Facebooks Image Matching Engine

So do I really look like any of these people? Facebook's facial recognition software thinks so but I think it leaves something to be desired.

However, it's an indication of what might be possible some day. I really want some kind of software that identifies people in pictures so that I can organize the mess of pictures that we've taken since the invention of the scanner and the digital camera. I estimated the other day that we have something on the order of 20,000 pictures. At the rate of say 30 seconds each to; identify who is in the picture (likely multiple people), when & where the picture was taken, record that information so it's associated with the picture file, etc. would take approximately 168 hours (the number of hours in a whole week working 24/7).


That will never happen without some way to automate the process. I'm still looking for a good way to do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Climate Change and Open Science - WSJ.com

This Wall Street Journal article Climate Change and Open Science - WSJ .com made the right basic point about liberal hypocrisy in the Climate Change debate, but disappointingly it failed to cite the best sources of real information from an unbiased scientific point of view. I believe that source is Dr. S. Fred Singer & Dr. Craig D. Idso , from the Science and Environmental Policy Project and Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change, who coauthored "Climate Change Reconsidered; The Report of the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change" published in 2009. In this book, the petition letter shown here from Dr. Frederick Seitz ( Ph . D. Physics) President Emeritus of Rockefeller University was published. Dr. Seitz circulated this letter: urging fellow academics with qualifications in the physical sciences to sign the petition at http://www.petitionproject.com/ and thereby acknowledge their agreement with this statement in the petition: Accor...

Health Care

I spent nearly three hours today trying to understand the meaning of the Obamacare legislation. I am a reasonably intelligent individual, I have experience analyzing legislation (in my work), I know generally where to look and despite all that, I found it to be basically incomprehensible. This suggests to me that most people; don't have a clue what has happened, how it will effect them, why it was necessary (0r not), when it will take effect, what it will cost, what the alternatives might have been (or might still be), or in general what they should think about it. I'm going to try again to decipher it and when I do, to write here what my opinion is. Right now I am suspicious of it simply because it's too complicated to understand.