Skip to main content

2008 New Year Resolutions

I made three resolutions this year:
  1. Stay Alive - I have type 2 diabetes. I like to eat and I don't like to exercise, but I want to stay alive long enough to see my grandchildren grow up. So in 2007 I radically changed my lifestyle and in 2008 I plan to learn to like it.
  2. Listen More - I do not pay enough attention to what others are saying to me. I'm often too involved in proving my point to listen properly and consequently I "tune" people out when I could really learn a lot. I am especially bad about this with Joy, my wife of forty years who I love very much, and I hereby publicly apologize.
  3. Write Something Every Day - It's Jan 4th and I'm already three days behind...oh well, so much for resolutions. But I don't think I'm alone. Like many others who initially enjoyed blogging and wrote a lot, it became tedious for me and was interfering with my work. However, stating your opinion in writing (in complete sentences) is a good discipline. One must think about it, develop metaphors and examples, tell stories, and do this all in one succinctly summarized post.

Finally, one more thing I should have made a resolution about and did not. That is, not to accuse others of doing annoying things without any proof. Ergo...another public apology: I suspect that I probably drank all the "good" Scotch myself and just forgot about it. So to my son Jason, who has always been truthful with me, I want to publicly apologize for off-handedly, and without thinking about it properly, suggesting that it might have been you and your friends who drank it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Climate Change and Open Science - WSJ.com

This Wall Street Journal article Climate Change and Open Science - WSJ .com made the right basic point about liberal hypocrisy in the Climate Change debate, but disappointingly it failed to cite the best sources of real information from an unbiased scientific point of view. I believe that source is Dr. S. Fred Singer & Dr. Craig D. Idso , from the Science and Environmental Policy Project and Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change, who coauthored "Climate Change Reconsidered; The Report of the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change" published in 2009. In this book, the petition letter shown here from Dr. Frederick Seitz ( Ph . D. Physics) President Emeritus of Rockefeller University was published. Dr. Seitz circulated this letter: urging fellow academics with qualifications in the physical sciences to sign the petition at http://www.petitionproject.com/ and thereby acknowledge their agreement with this statement in the petition: Accor...

Health Care

I spent nearly three hours today trying to understand the meaning of the Obamacare legislation. I am a reasonably intelligent individual, I have experience analyzing legislation (in my work), I know generally where to look and despite all that, I found it to be basically incomprehensible. This suggests to me that most people; don't have a clue what has happened, how it will effect them, why it was necessary (0r not), when it will take effect, what it will cost, what the alternatives might have been (or might still be), or in general what they should think about it. I'm going to try again to decipher it and when I do, to write here what my opinion is. Right now I am suspicious of it simply because it's too complicated to understand.