Skip to main content

Intelligent Design at Baylor University

Alas, yet another controversy at my alma mater. I didn't realize the extent of the Baylor connection to Intelligent Design until President Bush ignited the debate and I began to look into what all the fuss was about. Dembski, who was at the center of the Baylor mess, chronicles it here.

In the June issue of The American Spectator, columnist Dan Petterson wrote an article entitled "The Little Engine That Could...Undo Darwinism." It was a needlessly controversial title for a reasonably good summary of the debate from the conservative point of view. [Which is not the same as the "creationist" religious right point of view despite what the left would have you believe.]

In July [or thereabouts] The New Republic, among others. Fired back with "The Case Against Intelligent Design. The Faith That Dare Not Speak Its Name." The article by Professor Jerry Coyne from the University of Chicago, which is poorly written and drones on for thirty pages making it hard to understand what his point is, seem in the end, merely to make the classic arguments defending Darwin's evolution against creationism, and asserting that Intelligent Design in merely disguised creationism.

Personally, I think this whole thing is really more of a philosophical question that a scientific one. It boils down to what you believe about God and is not really about science:
  • Darwinsim necessitates the belief in the absence of a God in all natural processes including the origin of life itself. And, instead the belief in purely deterministic / naturalistic process such as evolution and natural selection. In other words, life is an accident of nature.
  • Creationism at it's core is the belief that there is a God, and that at some level God created this world and its processes.

Those of us who sincerely believe there is a God but who also believe in science, deeply resent the religious fools who make a mockery of faith in God through their ignorance of science. But we also deeply resent the Naturalist / Darwinists who claim to be saving humanity from false religious teachings when they themselves contend that a religious belief in the absence of God is necessary to correctly teach science.

I think Spinoza almost got it right in 1675. If he had been aware of the nature of the microcosm or the macrocosm as we understand them today with our scientific advancement, he might easily have been an advocate of Intelligent Design. But that's a subject for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Climate Change and Open Science - WSJ.com

This Wall Street Journal article Climate Change and Open Science - WSJ .com made the right basic point about liberal hypocrisy in the Climate Change debate, but disappointingly it failed to cite the best sources of real information from an unbiased scientific point of view. I believe that source is Dr. S. Fred Singer & Dr. Craig D. Idso , from the Science and Environmental Policy Project and Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change, who coauthored "Climate Change Reconsidered; The Report of the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change" published in 2009. In this book, the petition letter shown here from Dr. Frederick Seitz ( Ph . D. Physics) President Emeritus of Rockefeller University was published. Dr. Seitz circulated this letter: urging fellow academics with qualifications in the physical sciences to sign the petition at http://www.petitionproject.com/ and thereby acknowledge their agreement with this statement in the petition: Accor...

Health Care

I spent nearly three hours today trying to understand the meaning of the Obamacare legislation. I am a reasonably intelligent individual, I have experience analyzing legislation (in my work), I know generally where to look and despite all that, I found it to be basically incomprehensible. This suggests to me that most people; don't have a clue what has happened, how it will effect them, why it was necessary (0r not), when it will take effect, what it will cost, what the alternatives might have been (or might still be), or in general what they should think about it. I'm going to try again to decipher it and when I do, to write here what my opinion is. Right now I am suspicious of it simply because it's too complicated to understand.