Skip to main content

GigaPan

Photographer David Bergman took this amazing photo at President Obama's inauguration with the GigaPan system. GigaPan uses a mechanical device called the Gigapan Epic plus an ordinary digital camera to take overlapping images (~220 in this case) and seamlessly stitch them together via special software to make one giant, high-resolution photo (this Obama inauguration photo apparently has 1.57 gigapixel resolution). On the GigaPan.org website it's possible to pan/zoom the photo to an amazing degree of detail. For instance, some ordinary people on the Mall will be able to identify themselves in this picture and show that they were there on January 20, 2009.

I believe the software which stitches the photos together involves fractal geometry technology similar to that which astronomers use to piece together images of the sky.

Bergman is selling prints of this photo here for ~$90+ and if I had been there I would deifintely buy one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Climate Change and Open Science - WSJ.com

This Wall Street Journal article Climate Change and Open Science - WSJ .com made the right basic point about liberal hypocrisy in the Climate Change debate, but disappointingly it failed to cite the best sources of real information from an unbiased scientific point of view. I believe that source is Dr. S. Fred Singer & Dr. Craig D. Idso , from the Science and Environmental Policy Project and Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change, who coauthored "Climate Change Reconsidered; The Report of the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change" published in 2009. In this book, the petition letter shown here from Dr. Frederick Seitz ( Ph . D. Physics) President Emeritus of Rockefeller University was published. Dr. Seitz circulated this letter: urging fellow academics with qualifications in the physical sciences to sign the petition at http://www.petitionproject.com/ and thereby acknowledge their agreement with this statement in the petition: Accor...

Health Care

I spent nearly three hours today trying to understand the meaning of the Obamacare legislation. I am a reasonably intelligent individual, I have experience analyzing legislation (in my work), I know generally where to look and despite all that, I found it to be basically incomprehensible. This suggests to me that most people; don't have a clue what has happened, how it will effect them, why it was necessary (0r not), when it will take effect, what it will cost, what the alternatives might have been (or might still be), or in general what they should think about it. I'm going to try again to decipher it and when I do, to write here what my opinion is. Right now I am suspicious of it simply because it's too complicated to understand.