Skip to main content

Americanism:The Fourth Great Western Religion

I recently bought a Kindle from Amazon via my Amazon account. (It's Amazon's amazing new wireless e-book that uses electronic ink, really cool. And worth the 4 week delivery backlog when I got mine earlier this year.)


I love the concept of potentially hundreds of books, blogs, daily newspapers, etc. just showing up (for a small fee to Amazon & partners) on my Kindle when I get up in the morning. I also love having nearly infinite degrees of freedom in directing the Kindle's wireless delivery service (initially free) to send me just the stuff I want. The Kindle'e product hardware is still rough dispite it's $500 price tag (e.g. the Kindle freezes up quite frequently and has to be rebooted manually) but by and large it's worth the price.

But, the Kindle is also a little dangerous. It enables easy access to certain online media (books, DVDs, CDs, etc.) via the "Kindle Store" which is a subset of the real Amazon store. The Kindle store has been modified to exploit the product's features and push the convenience of owing an e-book. Personally, I find it addictive to be pursued so often by so many good books and at such relatively low prices. I've responded by buying many more books on Kindle than I ever did on Amazon and that I ever intended to on Kindle. It's just too easy.


The first book I read on my Kindle was (Yale Professor) David Gelernter's new book; Americanism - The Fourth Great Western Religion. As always, Prof. Gelernter's work is thoughtful and well written. I particularly liked the history lesson (on Puritanism) and the way he summed up Puritanism's influence in shaping Americanism in these lines:

"Tolerance is American but secularism is not"

"Religious freedom is American but contempt for religion is not"

"Religious doubt is American but religious indifference is not"

"Religious debate is American but cold academic disdain is not"

"Chivalry is American but complacency is not"

"America is a blblical republic, and Americanism is a biblical religion."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forty Years

My wife Joy and I celebrated our 40 th wedding anniversary this past weekend with our children and grand-children. We were on lovely Sea Island, Georgia watching this spectacular sunrise and wondering how it was possible that forty years could have gone by so quickly. We had a lot of fun telling all the old stories about how we met, and courted, and married, and brought up the kids. Lots of laughs and a few tears as well. We've been through good times and bad together. We've both worked hard, had a few disappointments, but basically have accomplished mostly good things. We've had good health, loving families, good friends, three fine sons we're very proud of, wonderful daughter's-in-law who are perfect for our boys, and four of the best grandchildren ever. Life doesn't really get any better than that. We've really been blessed and we thank God for that. Now we're working to keep our health and live to celebrate forty more.

Barry Schwartz - The Paradox of Choice

MediaPost Publications - Americans Get More Channels, Watch Fewer Of Them, Especially Broadcast - 03/13/2006 Ironically, Barry Schwartz spoke at PC Forum last night about the Paradox of Choice, and what did I wake up to this morning. Another possible example of too much choice in the channels people have to choose from on television. I wonder whether the "a la carte" crowd has thought about this problem. I'll have to ask Prof. Schwartz about that today.