Skip to main content

In Memoriam - Kendal Ross April 1926 - February 2007

My uncle Kendal Ross passed away on Friday, February 2, 2007 at the age of eighty. He belonged to what’s been called the “greatest generation.” In my mind, Kendal Ross not only belonged to the “greatest” generation, his life was a perfect example of what that means. In all my life, I have never known anyone that was as honest, as loving, as caring, as hard working, as dependable and just plain fun to be with as this sweet, gentle man…Kendal Ross. He served his country with honor and self-sacrifice; he worked hard to provide for his family and was proud to see his children and grandchildren educated and successful, far beyond his own modest upbringing; he was a pillar of the community in my hometown of Centertown, Kentucky; a Deacon of the little Baptist Church there he attended all his life; a rock that everyone else could always count on and who asked for nothing in return; a loving husband and father and grandfather; a man’s man that commanded respect; and the best uncle that anyone could ever have. He was my hero and my only regret is that I never thought to tell him that. I hope he knew it. I will miss him very much.

But, Kendall would have been the first to tell us that there’s really nothing sad about a day like this, there’s actually a celebration going on in heaven today for the arrival of this good man. It was my great privilege just to know him much less to have been blessed with the many, many ways in which he made my life and the lives of my loved ones better.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Doug,

Great to talk with you on the phone. Great blog site!

My father flew Corsairs off Carrier Decks in the 40's. Naval Academy. He passed in October. Great Dad who led a great life. While on deck one day, he wrote the following prayer:

"Dear God Bless me that I may be a good man always, and a credit to you, the principle of right, my family, and the people and organizations I represent".

I have that framed at my home.

Look forward to working with you on any GA policy issues of concern to SA.

Popular posts from this blog

Forty Years

My wife Joy and I celebrated our 40 th wedding anniversary this past weekend with our children and grand-children. We were on lovely Sea Island, Georgia watching this spectacular sunrise and wondering how it was possible that forty years could have gone by so quickly. We had a lot of fun telling all the old stories about how we met, and courted, and married, and brought up the kids. Lots of laughs and a few tears as well. We've been through good times and bad together. We've both worked hard, had a few disappointments, but basically have accomplished mostly good things. We've had good health, loving families, good friends, three fine sons we're very proud of, wonderful daughter's-in-law who are perfect for our boys, and four of the best grandchildren ever. Life doesn't really get any better than that. We've really been blessed and we thank God for that. Now we're working to keep our health and live to celebrate forty more.

Barry Schwartz - The Paradox of Choice

MediaPost Publications - Americans Get More Channels, Watch Fewer Of Them, Especially Broadcast - 03/13/2006 Ironically, Barry Schwartz spoke at PC Forum last night about the Paradox of Choice, and what did I wake up to this morning. Another possible example of too much choice in the channels people have to choose from on television. I wonder whether the "a la carte" crowd has thought about this problem. I'll have to ask Prof. Schwartz about that today.