Skip to main content

Webby Awards: 10 Web Moments That Changed The World

Webby Awards: 10 Web Moments That Changed The World

The folks at "The Webby Awards" recently published their list of the "ten web moments that changed the world." The moment that made me a believer that the web might change the world happened sometime around 1994 or 1995. I got on somebody's list [probably because of my involvment in Georgia Tech's GVU annual WWW user survey, which was pretty unique at the time] and I was invited to become an early user of something called PointCast. I became a very enthuastic PointCast user long before Yahoo, Excite, etc. had really developed anything comparable. PointCast was, to my knowledge, the first to recognize the potential of automated delivery of [nearly] real-time news and information to the desktop, personalized to an individuals particular interests. They ultimately failed because they didn't adapt their clunky [push] technology, but the idea and the early execution, including the user interface, was brilliant.

As significant as PointCast was and perhaps deserving of its own "web moment" for early recognization of the power of personalization, PointCast itself wasn't exactly the moment that I had in mind. The moment "that changed the world" for me came one day when I was on the phone with a friend who had the annoying habit of trying to impress me with the wealth of his knowledge about current events, particularly in my business. His phone calls typically began with "did you hear that so and so did such and such" with the implication being that he was in the know and I wasn't. On one fateful day I realized when he called that I could bluff him and say "oh yes, I heard that too." The trick was to quickly skim PointCast [it ran, supposedly in the background all the time on my PC, also making it one of the first always-on applications] and to get enough of the story to make my bluff work before he could figure out that it was a bluff.

From that moment on, it occurred to me that if I could do that, I could never be completely sure that others weren't doing the same thing to me? So "who really knows what they're talking about" is quite a different question than it use to be. The baseline that "everybody knows" [from merely parroting the results of a web search] is often substantial and may be seducing us into thinking we understand things we really don't. Ester Dyson and others have written about the development of "reputation systems" and other techniques to identy the reliability and trustworthiness of sources. It seems to me that a future "web moment that will change the world" will be when we can use technolgy to tell what is true and what it means.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forty Years

My wife Joy and I celebrated our 40 th wedding anniversary this past weekend with our children and grand-children. We were on lovely Sea Island, Georgia watching this spectacular sunrise and wondering how it was possible that forty years could have gone by so quickly. We had a lot of fun telling all the old stories about how we met, and courted, and married, and brought up the kids. Lots of laughs and a few tears as well. We've been through good times and bad together. We've both worked hard, had a few disappointments, but basically have accomplished mostly good things. We've had good health, loving families, good friends, three fine sons we're very proud of, wonderful daughter's-in-law who are perfect for our boys, and four of the best grandchildren ever. Life doesn't really get any better than that. We've really been blessed and we thank God for that. Now we're working to keep our health and live to celebrate forty more.

Barry Schwartz - The Paradox of Choice

MediaPost Publications - Americans Get More Channels, Watch Fewer Of Them, Especially Broadcast - 03/13/2006 Ironically, Barry Schwartz spoke at PC Forum last night about the Paradox of Choice, and what did I wake up to this morning. Another possible example of too much choice in the channels people have to choose from on television. I wonder whether the "a la carte" crowd has thought about this problem. I'll have to ask Prof. Schwartz about that today.